Drupal's Extensive Advantages
In recent years, Drupal has rapidly grown to become the default standard in enterprise web development. Here is a reminder of the key reasons why:
Open Source means that the code used to run Drupal can be copied, modified, and shared with others. Anyone with the skill can download and use the Drupal code, make whatever changes they want, and send those changes out to anyone else, or even contribute the changes back to Drupal for others to use and share.
The advantages of the open source model of software development are numerous:
- Free to download and use.
- No licensing fees.
- No proprietary “black box.” (Everything in the Drupal framework is transparent to a programmer with the knowledge to look at the source code.)
- A community of developers.
While the above advantages will be mostly true of any open source project, some of the unique stats about Drupal are:
- Huge developer community:
- Nearly 1000 developers contributed code to Drupal 7.
- Over 8000 modules are listed on Drupal.org.
- Over 10 years of development.
- 600,000+ users on Drupal.org
- Nearly 400,000 websites run on Drupal
- Clean, Extensible and Modular Code
- Many high quality modules that extend the functionality of the core code
- Custom modules can be written to perform any desired function
- Theming layer separate from content and functionality for easy visual refresh
- High Performance
- Built-in caching
- Scalable to multiple servers (database, caching, and web services)
- InnoDB default
- Easy integration with 3rd party applications using
- to name a few...
- Search Engine Friendly
- Standards-compliant HTML/CSS
- Meta tags
- Page Titles
- Customizable, friendly urls
- Google Analytics integration
- RDF support
- Unparalleled Security
- 43 official members of the dedicated security team
- Modules with unresolved security issues are unpublished
- Password security is compatible with the requirements for US government agencies
- Management of Content by End User
- Well documented
- Specific focus on usability
- Word processor-style content editing
- Image handling
- File handling
- Commercial Support
- Many companies who build and support Drupal sites
- Many qualified developers for hire who can customize Drupal code
- Training and educational support available
- Industry- and feature-specialized commercial firms